Monday, May 10, 2010

Review: Savor the Moment

Savor the Moment
Nora Roberts

Contemporary Romance

Bride Quartet/Book 3

Berkley Publishing/May 2010


From the inside cover ~

Laurel McBane has always relied on her friends for support, especially when her dream of attending culinary school was almost ruined by her parents' financial problems. Now Laurel is repaying the kindness of her friends by creating extravagantly luscious tiers of cakes and other confectionery delights that add the perfect touch to their clients' weddings.

As for romance, Laurel believes in it - in theory. But she's too low-key to appreciate all the luxuries that other women seem to long for. What she does appreciate is a strong, intelligent man, a man just like Parker's older brother, Delaney Brown, on whom Laurel has had a mega crush since childhood.

But some infatuations last longer than others, and Laurel is convinced that the Ivy League lawyer is still out of her reach. Plus, Del is too protective of Laurel to ever cross the line with her-or so she thinks. When Laurel's quicksilver moods get the better of her-leading to an angry, hot, all-together mind-blowing kiss with Del-she'll have to quiet the doubts in her mind to turn a moment of passion into forever...

I'm not a huge Nora Roberts fan. What I mean by that is that I haven't read a lot of her romances. I've read all of the J. D. Robb books (Love them!) but the Roberts back list for me remains mostly untouched. The Bride Quartet I started reading after hearing good reviews and I liked the idea of four girls growing up together, not only staying friends but becoming business partners. And you can't get more romantic than a full service wedding business.

I feel like I've been waiting forever for Laurel and Del's story. Okay, not that long but it seemed like it. I really liked Laurel, I think it's because she wasn't as approachable as the other three women of Vows. She's a bit prickly and quick to say what's on her mind, even when it's not the most tactful thing to say. But I liked her! I could totally see being friends with someone like her in RL. She, in fact, reminds me of a friend of mine. So there was definitely a connection before reading Savor the Moment.

Hmmm... Delaney Brown is an alpha male for sure but he's a 21st century alpha. He uses his intellect and business sense to help and protect those he loves. Delaney had a lot of responsibility laid on him early on when his parents died. He took charge of the family fortune and household. He also helped his sister Parker and her three best friends when they decided to open their wedding business. Yep, that's Delaney - responsible, respectable, and an all around nice guy. His problem is that he doesn't see what's been right in front of him. I did like Delaney but boy could he be dense sometimes.

Laurel and Del made for a sweet couple. They had already been friends forever and now they were venturing into new territory. They decide to take it slow with going out on dates. I liked seeing this side of them as a couple. How they interact with each other took on a different feel. They still had that friendship at the core but now they allowed and acknowledge the attraction they felt. And they not only acknowledge it, they acted on it.

I loved seeing the rest of the gang who now include; Carter, hero of 1st book, fiance' of Mac and Jack, hero of 2nd book, fiance' of Emma. They are now part of the clan. I loved the morning interactions of this lively and sometimes not so lively group. Mac is not a morning person, just saying. :) They would all meet at he main kitchen of the Brown mansion, getting ready to start their day with Mrs. G's delicious cooking. Mrs. G has been with the Brown's for years and has known all of the women since they were little. She is wonderful, imparting her wisdom along with her comfort foods.

The main problem I had with Savor the Moment is that I would have liked more Laurel and Del and less of the almost step-by-step instructions of cake decorating. I get that it was Laurel's passion but honestly, it just didn't interest me that much. More Laurel and Del time and more romance. The ending also felt, rushed maybe? It just wrapped up too quickly. Laurel and Del fight, then make up with little inbetween. I almost found myself wishing I had waited and read Savor the Moment right before Happy Ever After (book 4) comes out in November.

Even with those problems I still enjoyed the story and practically devored it. It was hard to put down but part of that was that I kept hoping for a little more Laurel and Del. But I do love the friendships of the four women. That remains my favorite part of the quartet. :)

Rating: B+

5 comments:

  1. Leslie, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this one (for the most part - detailed cake decorating instructions, aside). Nath was reading this one at RT and finished it while she was there. It's on my list. I might have to wait until closer to November to read it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, I'm so glad you enjoyed it too. I really liked these two together & Laurel so far is my favorite of the four. I agree on the baking, but for some reason it didn't seem as overwhelming to me as the flowers, lol! It was either toned down a bit, I didn't mind it or I'm getting used to it. *g* (still wishing for more Rom-time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I just came from reading Hilcia's review. LOL I'm next on my library hold list. Hopefully very soon because I really want to read this one now! Even if it is going to make me super hungry for cake. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill ~ I did like Laurel & Del together. Hope you enjoy it. :)

    Hils ~ Laurel's my favorite too. I don't remember the flower details bothering me. I did like the photo info we got with Mac. Maybe all the baking was making me hungry. :D

    Christine ~ I hope you get it soon too. If you get hungry for cake I'm sure you've got a great recipe somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was very good, I really enjoyed it too :D

    I agree with you, the ending seemed a bit rushed. You know what I would have liked? Del's POV when he went to get his mother's ring. I think it would have added to the romance :D

    ReplyDelete