Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fall Romance Book Challenge

This is a really cool idea that Jill D. of the wonderful blog Romance Rookie is starting. (She even made the beautiful picture shown above). It's called Fall Romance Book Challenge. You can read how it all came about on her blog. The challenge is to choose and read 15 books of different criteria. The reading should take place from October 1st to December 31st 2008.

What a great way to diminish the massive TBR pile that I can't keep up with. I know I shouldn't buy more books until I read some of the ones I own but I can't seem to help myself. It's an addiction I don't want to kick just control a little better.

So here are my choices:

1. Read a book listed on RT’s All-Time Favorites List.
Prince Joe by Suzanne Brockmann
2. Read a New (to you) Author.
Broken Wing by Judith James
3. For Autumn, choose an author whose first or last name begins with “A”.
All Souls Night by Jennifer Armintrout
4. Read a book with a one-word title.
Contact by Susan Grant
5. For Halloween, read a book with a scary theme. (ex. Ghost, Vampire, Witch, etc.)
Bound by Shadow by Anna Windsor
6. Read a book that is part of a series.
King of Sword and Sky by C. L. Wilson
7. For November, choose a book that has an “N” word in the title.
Naked in Death by J. D. Robb
8. Read a category romance (ex. Harlequin, Loveswept, etc.)
Bound by Marriage by Nalini Singh
9. Read a Christmas/Holiday themed book.
The Magical Christmas Cat Anthology by Lora Leigh, Erin McCarthy, Nalini Singh and Linda Winstead Jones
10. Read a book published before the year 2000.
Tempting Torment by Jo Goodman (published 1989)
11. Read a book that contains an aristocratic title. (ex. Duke, Lord, Baron, Viscount, etc.)
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
12. Read a book with a number in the title. (ex. Fearless Fourteen, Three Little Sins)
The Perfect Ten by Janice Maynard
13. Choose a book where the heroine is an heiress.
After the Kiss by Suzanne Enoch
14. Choose a book where the hero is a cop or lawman.
Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas
15. Read a book with “baby” in the title.
Nobody’s Baby but Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

All the books in italics are ones that I own. So out of 15 I'll be reading 12 that I own. That's pretty good and will put a dent in the old TBR pile. Many that I've been wanting to read for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it. Number 15 ~ I had a hard time finding a book with "baby" in the title so I used the same one as Jill. It's a SEP book so it's all good. And the RT list was amazing! As I read through it there were so many authors that I recognized and want to do rereads of my favorites. I was tempted to pick one that I had read but chose Brockmann's Prince Joe since I've been meaning to start that series and also because it's short and I've got to be practical if I expect to complete this challenge. : )


The In Death series is one that I hear so many good things about but have been putting off starting because it is so long ~ 25 novels, a bunch of anthologies and counting. The hero Roarke always seems to be mentioned when readers talk of their favorite heroes. I really need to see what the fuss is all about.




I first heard about Twisted Creek by Jodi Thomas when I read Nath's review and put it on my TBR list. I used to read a lot of Jodi Thomas' westerns and enjoyed them. Looking forward to reading this one.



I haven't read anything by Susan Grant but have heard great things about her writing. Contact won a RITA for best paranormal in 2003.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie! I am so glad you decided to join me. You have a great list of books. I have Contact in my TBR pile as well, but didn't add it to this challenge. I have been meaning to read it for a couple of years now. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it. Lord of Scoundrels is a favorite among many. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill ~ I have about 6 of Grant's books and haven't read any. Same with Chase so I thought it was about time. I've heard such good things about both.

    This should be a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete