Wednesday, October 15, 2008

It's Here, It's Here!!!


Broken Wing by Judith James has finally made it to my doorstep! I still can't believe I'm getting this excited about an author I've never read. But I have faith in Kristie.

The cover is interesting. A quick glance and it looks like a typical historical romance cover ~ hero on a ship at sea. But the thing that captured my attention was the fact that the hero is looking down not out from the cover. In fact his eyes are closed. Usually they're either looking out to sea, looking out from the book or down at the heroine. This guy is almost oblivious to what's going on around him. It also has a bit of an old world painting look to it. There's lots of dark clouds in the background with some lighter clouds as if the sun is peeking through. It must be quite windy if his hair is any indication. And it looks like he's been injured ~ his arms are sporting bloody bandages. He's also very lean, not a big muscular guy reminiscent of say the old Fabio covers. And the lack of a heroine ~ not sure what to make of that. All in all a very interesting cover. Can't wait to read this!

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm - Very interesting ideas on the cover that I can't say I even noticed myself. But now that you point them out incredibly perceptive and especially pertaining to the story. This is a real hero-centric book. More then any I've read before. That's not to say the heroine isn’t key and central - she is - and a wonderful heroine to boot, one of my favourites. But the book is without question Gabriel's story.
    And I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you've read it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And - lol - I forgot to say that I LOVE the little stuffed animal that is holding said book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie ~ I might have thought too long on the cover but Gabriel's expression and stance are just so different. I'm about 120 pages in and love it. And so far it's definitely Gabriel in the spotlight. But I do like Sarah. She's very different for a woman of that time period.

    The cute little guy holding the book is Cuddles ~ he's my Red Panda that dh got for me cause they are my favorite zoo animal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first glance, without knowing anything about the book, I would think it was a Swashbuckling Fantasy. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is some swashing and a bit of buckling going on. lol

    It does have a fantasy appearance to it. Not just the pic but the font too.

    ReplyDelete