Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review: Cold Sight

Cold Sight
Leslie Parrish
Paranormal Romance/Suspense
Signet Eclipse/July 2010
Extrasensory Agents/Book 1
Purchased

From the back cover ~

After being made a scapegoat in a botched investigation that led to a child's death, Aidan McConnell becomes a recluse. Still, as a favor to an old friend, Aidan will help on the occasional case. But under his handsome, rugged facade, he keeps his emotions in check for fear of being burned again.

Reporter Lexie Nolan has a nose for news - and she believes a serial killer has been targeting teen girls around Savannah, Georgia. But no one believes her. So she turns to the new paranormal detective agency and the sexy, mysterious Aidan for help. But just as the two begin forging a relationship, the case turns eerily personal for Lexie - and Aidan discovers that maybe he hasn't lost the ability to feel after all.


I've been getting more into Romantic Suspense and the addition of the paranormal element interested me. It's not vamps or weres but the psychic type of paranormal that is contained in Cold Sight. The idea of the reclusive hero appeals to me. It has a little of that Beauty and the Beast feel to it.

The story begins in a dark place with the killer and his latest victim. That's what wakes Aidan McConnell from his restless slumber. The smell of gingerbread, the sound of a woman's scream. Aidan connecting to the victim, a connections he doesn't want. Aidan has this ability to connect to the thought of people that he has come into contact with. This can be frustrating because he doesn't know who they are. Only that he's had some contact with them. Then there's the fact that Aidan doesn't want this responsibility anymore. He doesn't want to feel the fear of someone who's reaching out for help. He's become a recluse for a reason and has no desire to go back out in the world.

Ah, Lexie Nolan - the news report that doesn't take no for an answer. She is tenacious, courageous and funny at times. She has that self deprecating humor that lets you know she doesn't take herself too seriously, only her job. That she takes very seriously. After her recent humiliation, Lexie knows what it's like when people talk about you behind your back and treat you like an outcast. Aidan and Lexie have that in common. It's Lexie who, through shear stubbornness, gets Aidan to help her find out what's happened to the the missing girls.

Aidan and Lexie make a good team. They're both smart and determined to get to the bottom of the mystery of the missing teenagers. They continue to uncover secrets that finally lead them to the killer. I can't say I was completely surprised by the final reveal - all the clues were there. I did like how Parrish developed the relationship between Lexie and Aidan. It was based on mutual trust and genuine liking for each other, not just physical attraction. There is romance but there is also the teamwork, not only between Aidan and Lexie but also with the other members of the team of Extrasensory agents. Yes, there's some sequel bait, but it's wasn't annoying just the opposite. I found myself interested the the other agents and their abilities.

This first book in the Extrasensory Agents series proved to be a solid read. A little too predictable at times, I felt the mystery was the weakest point in the story. Too much of that feeling that I've read this before. But I liked the characters and the touch of paranormal elements so I'll be reading the next book, Cold Touch, due out April 2011.

Rating: B

5 comments:

  1. Great review Leslie. The subject of this book does sound familiar, but still interesting to me. I like these types of books, especially if there's a team involved and romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hils ~ Thanks! The characters are what made this a good read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, a B. I've been thinking of getting this book, because LOL, i don't know what else to get and Lori and Holly both enjoyed it a lot. Guess I will.

    By the way, if you want psychics in your romantic suspense, I recommend the FBI SCU series by Kay Hooper! :) Those were great :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori ~ I'm so glad you liked it! I'm curious about the other agents.

    Nath ~ Let me know if you want my copy and I'll send it your way. :)

    ReplyDelete