Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TBR Challenge Review: Doubleblind

Doubleblind
Ann Aguirre
Romantic Science Fiction
Sirantha Jax/Book 3
ACE/September 29, 2009

*Spoilers for Previous Books
*Highly recommend reading in order


From the back cover ~

Sirantha Jax isn’t known for diplomatic finesse. As a “Jumper” who navigates ships through grimspace, she’s used to kicking ass first and taking names later—much later. Not exactly the obvious choice to sell the Conglomerate to the Ithtorians, a people whose opinions of humans are as hard as their exoskeletons.

And Ithiss-Tor council meetings aren’t the only place where Ambassador Jax needs to maneuver carefully. Her lover, March, is frozen in permanent “kill” mode, and his hair-trigger threatens to sabotage the talks—not to mention their relationship.

But Jax won’t give up on the man or the mission. With the Outskirts beleaguered by raiders, pirates, and the flesh-eating Morgut, an alliance with Ithiss-Tor may be humanity’s only hope.

Which has Jax wondering why a notorious troublemaker like her was given the job…


I've had this book since its release nearly two years ago. I do remember starting it then putting it down. It had to do with the slower pace and lack of fight scenes. I had become accustomed to Jax, March and the gang getting into some serious trouble and fighting their way out of it. I'm thankful I gave Doubleblind another try because it was certainly worth it. This time, the fighting is there but on a mental level that tests Jax's abilities just as much, if not more, than jumping through grimspace and kicking ass.

Time for another road trip, this time to Bugland, home of the creatures of Ithiss-Tor. Bugs. But these are not bugs from our world. These bugs are highly intelligent, dangerous and real snobs when it comes to humans. They think humans are savages, beneath them. So it's up to Jax to form an alliance which is odd in itself since Jax isn't what you would call diplomatic. She's really out of her element which I think made her try that much harder. I loved seeing this side of Jax. Not only her ability to think quickly but she was also dealing with the fallout of March's breakdown and subsequently emotional shut down. Jax is walking a thin line between the two, giving the story the tension I craved.

The relationships in Jax's world are complex. None more so than her's and Vel's. Vel is one of the Bugs but he left Ithiss-Tor in disgrace many turns ago. He's different than others from his home planet. He doesn't look down on humans, not choosing to limit his small circle of associates. Vel is one of the very few Jax trusts and that's saying a lot since they first met when he was a bounty hunter and she was his prey. They've come a long way and I'm glad Aguirre didn't limit Jax to only the one important male relationship with March but gave her this deep friendship with Vel.

As the story progressed, I became quite interested in the outcome of Jax's diplomatic mission. You couldn't tell which way it would turn out since someone was committed to sabotaging the mission and it would go from looking positive to possible imprisonment for the gang. The relationship of Jax and March mirrored the diplomatic mission, with Jax making progress with March only to suffer a setback. I loved how Jax refused to give up on March. If their roles had been reversed, he would have done the same.

The ending of Doublind I will say left me relieved that Killbox, the next book in the series is sitting on my TBR pile. I have a feeling there will be more than enough action waiting for me in the next installment of this uniquely entertaining series.

Rating: B+

Books in this series ~

Grimspace
Wanderlust
Doubleblind
Killbox
Aftermath
Endgame (September 2012)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one, Leslie. I read it almost two years ago, so your review was a good refresher for me. I hope to read Killbox soon since Aftermath just came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you read it!

    I still have Killbox in my TBR (shakes head). I wish this had been as enjoyable for me as it was for you.

    Unfortunately, although I thought it was really well done by Ms. Aguirre (there so much there to admire), there was something about Jax's character that didn't gel for me for most of the story.

    I do want to continue with the series and will probably read Killbox and Aftermath together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine ~ yes, we have 2 more to read then the last one next year. *sob*

    Hils ~ She was different but for me it was about the situation and I think that's why I couldn't get into it the first time around. My expectations needed to shift.

    ReplyDelete