Monday, December 5, 2011

Review: Head Over Heels

Head Over Heels
Jill Shalvis
Contemporary Romance
Lucky Harbor/Book 3
Grand Central/November 22, 2011


From Goodreads ~

Free-spirited Chloe lives life on the edge. Unlike her soon-to-be married sisters, she isn't ready to settle into a quiet life running their family's newly renovated inn. But soon her love of trouble--and trouble with love-draws the attention of the very stern, very sexy sheriff who'd like nothing better than to tame her wild ways.

Suddenly Chloe can't take a misstep without the sheriff hot on her heels. His rugged swagger and his enigmatic smile are enough to make a girl beg to be handcuffed. For the first time, instead of avoiding the law, Chloe dreams of surrender. Can this rebel find a way to keep the peace with the straitlaced sheriff? Or will Chloe's colorful past keep her from a love that lasts . . . and the safe haven she truly wants in a town called Lucky Harbor?


The third novel in the wonderful Lucky Harbor series does not disappoint. In fact, it might be my favorite so far. This story centers around youngest sister Chloe Traeger and Sawyer Thompson. There has been something going on between these two, a sort of underlying tension and it's about to explode.

Chloe has always been thought of as a free spirit. A lot of that is due to her nomadic upbringing, never settling down in one place for very long. Then she and her two half sisters inherit a run down inn and decide to make a go of it. They each lend their expertise to the inn with Chloe's area of beauty treatments. She also lends a hand whenever and wherever needed. Chloe is at a crossroads in her life and has some tough decisions to make. Adding to the new complications are her growing feelings for Sawyer. He's the law and Chloe and the law rarely see eye to eye.

Sawyer is a very black and white type of guy with no patience for the gray areas. It's the gray areas where he continues to find Chloe. Their time together becomes more intentional and less accidental with both seeing things in the other that draw them together time and again. Sawyer holds himself up to very high standards due to his need for redemption. Chloe isn't the only one to be called wild. Sawyer was a troubled teen who is now trying to make up for his past mistakes. He projects this air of cool confidence but deep down he's still this guy trying to be worthy of the trust the community has placed in him. I adored Sawyer with all his different sides. The by-the-book sheriff, the good friend and the attentive lover. He's a keeper!

Chloe and Sawyer not only have their odd couple relationship issue but there is Chloe's relationship with her sisters that still needs work. And Sawyer has some major father issues he needs to work through. The way they help each other and learn to lean on each other was very realistic. They are a couple that don't seem to fit on the outside but Shalvis makes it work to perfection! The best part - they accept each other just as they are, warts and all.

We do get to see Maddie and Jax and Tara and Ford again. I love the scenes with the guys hanging out, just talking about everyday life, giving each other shit all the while knowing they've got each others' backs. Shalvis has a knack for the male dialogue.

The secondary characters are a collection of small town living. They're a fun, eclectic group, much like what you would expect to inhabit a fictional Shalvis town. They add much to the story without taking away from the main focus. I especially liked Chloe's friendship with Lance, her partner in crime. Chloe has a hard time saying "I love you" but she has no problem showing it, her friendship with Lance is proof of it. They have some emotional scenes that really got to me.

One of my favorite things about Head Over Heels and the series in general, is that I have no problem immersing myself into these characters lives. Lucky Harbor is a place I can easily imagine, feeling as if I'm right there while reading about some of my favorite characters.

Rating: A

Lucky Harbor Series ~

Simply Irresistible
The Sweetest Thing
Kissing Santa Claus(novella in Small Town Christmas anthology)
Head Over Heels
Lucky in Love (July 2012)

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I'm not looking! But I saw that A, yay! You know how much I'm enjoying this series so far so that's great news. I haven't even bought the book yet. :( Next week for me... (Christmas is coming, lol) and I can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to read this in the next couple of weeks! I am very excited given the number of really good reviews I have seen of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reviews have really been good for this book, but I'm staying strong LOL. I'm glad though you really enjoyed it, Leslie :) It's great when authors deliver :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and really enjoyed the first two books in this series but now I've run into a bit of a wicket - sticky or not I'm not sure. The first two books are ebooks and I want to keep the trend going. But the publisher isn't allowing any promotion codes to be used and the price for the ebook is the same for the print book. I refuse to pay the same for an ebook as I would for a print book so until either the price comes down or I can use a code, I'm going to have to wait to read this one.
    And it's not like I don't have anything else to read in the meantime :-)

    ReplyDelete