Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Library Loot


Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.  It's easy to join, just post your loot and link up with Mr. Linky at either Claire or Marg's blog.  It's that simple!

Since I'm still reading previously checked out books, this week the loot has been kept to a minimum. Of course what do I do but read the books I just checked out instead of the ones that are due back soon! Sometimes there is no logic to my reading .

First up is Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, which caught my eye for a number of reasons.  The setting and time period are not the usual and the two main characters, both female, are involved in the war efforts.  I've already read it, very hard to put down.  I hope to get the review posted soon. 




 I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.

That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.

He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.

We are a sensational team.


The next book, Tessa Dare's A Lady by Midnight, is an ebook checked out from the library's "Digital Library" which I try to use as much as possible.  The only drawback is no ability to renew so I have to get the ebooks read within the 2 week time period.  No problem with Ms. Dare's books, this one is proving to be a quick, enjoyable read. 



A temporary engagement, a lifetime in the making . . .

After years of fending for herself, Kate Taylor found friendship and acceptance in Spindle Cove--but she never stopped yearning for love. The very last place she'd look for it is in the arms of Corporal Thorne. The militia commander is as stone cold as he is brutally handsome. But when mysterious strangers come searching for Kate, Thorne steps forward as her fiance. He claims to have only Kate's safety in mind. So why is there smoldering passion in his kiss?

Long ago, Samuel Thorne devoted his life to guarding Kate's happiness. He wants what's best for her, and he knows it's not marriage to a man like him. To outlast their temporary engagement, he must keep his hands off her tempting body and lock her warm smiles out of his withered heart. It's the toughest battle of this hardened warrior's life . . . and the first he seems destined to lose.


And for variety, a romantic suspense from Catherine Mann.  Guardian, the next book in her Dark Ops series.  I expect it to be a fast paced, action packed romance. 

  
THEY’D DO ANYTHING FOR COUNTRY.

AND EVERYTHING FOR EACH OTHER.

 After a dark ops malfunction, Major David Berg finds himself dead center in a military trial. It’s a race against time to root out the truth, and Major Sophie Campbell isn’t making that any easier. The hot JAG wants to bring down David’s unit and fast. His testimony is crucial to winning a case that will make her career. All Sophie has to do is ignore this witness’s unflappable charm, his unnerving good looks, and a strong, solid presence that commands her attention. It’s not easy for David, either. His attraction to this take-charge beauty is turning him inside out. But these adversaries have more in common than secret, mutual desire. There’s a traitor somewhere in the dark ops and now, to find him, David and Sophie must work together—relentlessly, tirelessly, and so intimately it could be damn near fatal.


Did you pick up anything at the library this week?

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to read Code Name Verity, I have it on my list. But right now I'm reading another book that's similar in nature. I've been reading a few books set during this time lately and really enjoying the time period. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm so not surprised, Leslie! I do the same thing... the difference is that I buy the books, don't borrow them :)

    Looking forward to your review of Code Name Verity. And I hope you enjoy the Catherine Mann :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Code Name Verity has been on my list for a while and I know the library has a copy, too. I hope to read it by the end of the year. I hear it's excellent.

    I've fallen behind with Tessa Dare. Grrr! I love her books.

    ReplyDelete