Sunday, May 15, 2016

Keeper Shelf Sunday

My TBR pile is huge! And when you count all the e-books it's down right scary! But I have many print books of favorite authors that I can't seem to part with. Some, I even have the e-book but there is just something about the feel and smell of an old favorite in print. Looking through my numerous keepers I decided to spotlight a long time favorite, Kathleen E. Woodwiss. Ms. Woodwiss was right there at the beginning of my love for romances along with Roberta Gellis, Jude Deveraux, Rebecca Brandywine, and Johanna Lindsey to name a few.

Kathleen E. Woodwiss was an author who had several books published before I came along. This meant I had not only found an author I loved, but there was a back list to gloam!

While I bought any Woodwiss I could find, imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a three book box set! It was quite a few years back but I still remember how thrilled I was to discover the set. It was better than finding money in an old purse or coat pocket long forgotten. As I picked up the box, I took a quick look around the used book store, thinking this was too good to be true. Maybe, when I went to pay for the books the owner of the store will tell me there had been a mistake and the set was not for sale? Yes, I do tend to over think things but I was still in shock of my incredible find. I couldn't wait to get out of the store with it. Turns out, it wasn't a mistake and I paid for my treasure and rushed home to place it prominently on my Keeper Shelf. And that is where it has sat for many years.




It's been a long time since I read these but I do remember loving each one for different reasons. I can imagine if some readers were to read them now, they would find the heroes to be too controlling and too alpha towards the heroines. But these were written in a different time and the over-the-top heroes were something readers loved.


The Flame and the Flower 
Avon/April 1972

In an age of great turmoil, the breathtaking romance of Heather Simmons and Captain Brandon Birmingham spans oceans and continents! Their stormy saga reaches the limits of human passion as we follow Heather's tumultuous journey from poverty... to her kidnapping at a squalid London dockside... to the splendor of Harthaven, the Carolina plantation where Brandon finally probes the depths of Heather's full womanhood! (from the back cover)


The Wolf and the Dove
Avon/March 1974

As hordes of Norman invaders sweep Saxony in 1066, the lovely Aislin of Darkenwald is torn between loyalty to her own Saxon people and her tempestuous romance with Wulfgar - the Iron Wolf of Normandy. Can her consuming passion for him wipe out he memory of her father's murder - her mother's shame - her own savage violation - all at the hands of Wulfgar's conquering forces? A turbulent story of romance for now and for all time! (from the back cover)


Shanna
Avon/ April 1977

SHANNA - A woman with surging desires of the spirit, the flesh, and the heart...

RUARK - A man burning to possess her in vengeance and in ecstasy...

SHANNA - A romance of passion beyond wildest dreams!
(from the back cover)

3 comments:

  1. I know, it's hard to part with books? I just can't... all the money and time invested in it, sigh.

    Boxsets were so rare back then... and look at the covers LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to have keepers in print because it makes me happy to "see" them sitting there, taking up space. A digital file just doesn't give me the same sort of zing!

    Woodiwiss is an author I've never read, mostly because I think I'd have a hard time with her writing style. The flowery, purple tinged writing of that era is not the easiest for me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I painted my room 3 years ago and put all my keeper books in plastic tubs. Unfortunately they're still in those tubs. :(

    I remember reading Woodiwiss back in the day. I actually didn't really care for her writing but I read her stuff because they were in the library. Small military library in Germany. LOL Selection wasn't the greatest in the late 90s.

    ReplyDelete