Friday, May 6, 2016

Outlander Music


For those of you who watch the Outlander television series based on Diana Gabaldon's book series, then you're familiar with the theme song. For those of you who have not watch the show. Give it a listen. It's a stunning song and fits well with the show.




A little bit of history of the theme song. The tune is The Skye Boat Song but the lyrics are from a poem by Robert Lewis Stevenson and modified for the song by composer Bear McCreary.

Here is Stevenson's poem:

Sing me a song of a lad that is gone,
Say, could that lad be I?
Merry of soul he sailed on a day
Over the sea to Skye.

Mull was astern, Rum on the port,
Eigg on the starboard bow;
Glory of youth glowed in his soul;
Where is that glory now? 
Give me again all that was there, Give me the sun that shone!

Give me the eyes, give me the soul,
Give me the lad that's gone! Billow and breeze, islands and seas, Mountains of rain and sun,
All that was good, all that was fair,
All that was me is gone.

The modified lyrics are a beautiful fit to Claire and Jamie's story.  In the second season of Outlander, Claire and Jamie are in France and the theme song reflects that with some of the lyrics sung in French and the instruments are changed up a little as well. I almost think the French makes it even more beautiful.



2 comments:

  1. Does sound like it fit the series... but too slow for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song! It fits the series perfectly…

    Thanks for the background on the music, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete