Friday, December 30, 2011

Review: Holly Lane

Holly Lane
Toni Blake
Contemporary Romance
Destiny/Book 4
Avon/November 2011


From Goodreads ~

The weather outside is frightful, but kisses by the fire are so delightful...

Sue Ann Simpkins is working hard to rebuild her life and find some holiday spirit. A weekend away from Destiny in a cabin on nearby Bear Lake seems like the perfect Christmas gift to herself—until her ex’s best friend, Adam Becker, shows up at the door, claiming the cabin is his! And if that’s not trouble enough, how had she never noticed how gorgeous he was?

Alone for the holidays and forced to play a reindeer at the local department store, Adam’s been feeling rather Scrooge-ish himself. But finding the smart, sexy woman he’s admired since elementary school waiting in the house he rented is helping to brighten his humbug mood. And when a sudden snowstorm strands them together in very close quarters, leading to one very hot night together, Adam soon realizes that what he really wants for Christmas is a second chance at love. Now all he has to do is convince Sue Ann...


A friends to lovers story is one of my favorite tropes and Holly Lane certainly delivers. Not only do these friends take their friendship into the bedroom, they deepen their friendship, learning more about each other.

Sue Ann Simpkins is trying to recover from her divorce while keeping the holidays happy for her young daughter. It's not easy with her recent ex-husband being such an ass but she's trying. Between the holiday stress and dealing with her idiot of an ex, Sue Ann continues to encounter Adam Becker. They do live in a small town but Adam does seem to pop up a lot! LOL I really enjoyed seeing these two take their hesitant steps from friends to lovers. The lovers part happened quickly but it was the deepening friendship and the falling in love that really sparked the story.

Adam Becker is at loose ends after his twin boys go on vacation with Adam's ex in-laws, leaving Adam alone during the holidays. He's reaches out to his best friend's ex-wife who also happens to be a childhood friend of Adam's. See, small town. Adam is pulled in two directions, between his growing feelings for Sue Ann and his long time friendship with her ex. There were times when I wanted to smack Adam for even thinking of siding with Jeff, Sue Ann's ex. I get the long time friendship but Jeff treated Sue Ann horribly and how anyone could side with him was beyond me. Adam lost a few points for that but gained them back in his wooing of Sue Ann. He really was a sweet and sexy guy!

The days leading up to Christmas are not only filled with Sue Ann and Adam's growing romance but with catching up with the heroes and heroines from the previous books. This is one of the reasons I like romance series. I love seeing how everyone is doing - it's like a little family reunion.

Holly Lane is another sweet, funny, emotional romance in this wonderful series. I found it a great way to spend a few hours and look forward to more from Destiny, Ohio.

Rating: B+

Destiny Series ~

One Reckless Summer
Sugar Creek
Whisper Falls
Holly Lane
Willow Springs (July 2012)
Untitled Book 6 (February 2013)

6 comments:

  1. I don't read this series, his story sounds really sweet and sexy! I'm keeping it in mind for next December. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read this series either, but friends to lovers? You know I love those. I'm going to put a star next to this one. Thanks Les!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine ~ If you wait until December to read this, that gives you plenty of time to read the first three books in the series. :)

    Hils ~ It's one of my favorite tropes too! You should definitely give this series a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, Leslie!
    I started His Mistress by Christmas by Victoria Alexander over break, but only read the first chapter.. I think I'm going to put that on hold for 11 months and borrow it again from the library around Thanksgiving next year. So already I have TWO books on my Holiday reading list for 2012! : )

    Oh wait! Make that THREE! I bought the Holiday Kisses anthology but didn't get the chance to read that one, either! See? I'm already looking forward to Christmas next year. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, best friend of the ex-husband. Hmmmmm.

    By the way, he's playing reindeer at the shopping mall? As a job?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine ~ you do like to plan ahead. :) I had about a dozen holiday themed books I brought down from the tbr bookcases in my room. Ended up taking most of them back upstairs. There's always next year!

    Nath ~ The reindeer was a fundraising for the boyscouts. Adam is a nice guy who has a hard time say no when asked for help.

    ReplyDelete